Sunday, August 8, 2010

Strength for Today, Bright Hope for Tomorrow

Strength for Today and Bright Hope for TomorrowShare
Today at 8:21am


It’s my first Sunday back at home in two weeks. Jeff had his first full night’s sleep in two weeks (he just woke up and told me) so I praise God for that.

The children are still asleep, and yet, I’ve been lying awake thinking for the past 30 minutes.I’ve been thinking about strength and the fact that many of you have written to me admiring my strength. It occurred to me that I’m not strong. I’m as weak as the children in “Jesus Loves Me” but it’s my faith that’s strong.

My faith in Christ Jesus is an unbendable steel rod.

It may be bumped, banged, bruised, or beaten but I will not relinquish it. I asked Jesus Christ to be my Lord and Savior when I was 8 years old. As some of you, I did have a curious stage where I wanted to know what the world had to offer in terms of the enticing nightlife, but even then, it took but a moment to realize there was no real satisfaction to be found. My conscience was my Holy Spirit. And He wouldn’t let me fully engage, since I was betrothed elsewhere.I was (and am) a child of Holy God.

I know there are many of you out there reading my posts, hooked to this horrible (yet fully amazing) tragedy. If you have an ounce of feeling, your hearts are full of compassion. I want more for you as I want for myself, especially if you don’t know my Jesus, the reason for my faith.

When you hear the name of Jesus Christ, what do you think? Do you smile because you know you belong to Him? Do you cringe because it makes you uncomfortable? Do you scoff because you think of it as a farce or a fairy tale?Have you ever pulled out a Bible and read about this man?

Even if you are a believer, do you really understand the sacrifice Jesus made for you when he willingly carried his own cross down the streets to Golgotha while being spit upon and mocked? He was innocent, his only charge being that He claimed to be the Son of God. And He was the Son of God. He never spat back at his tormentors.

Do you understand that the penalty for your sin must be atoned for? In Old Testament times, there had to be a blood sacrifice to atone for sin, thus the killing of an animal. When Christ came down and offered his life, his blood covered once and for all the future sins of mankind…that means yours and mine.

He offers eternal life as a gift and how many toss it back in his face with disdain or mockery? It’s a GIFT for goodness sake and He desires for all of man to come to know Him in a real and personal way.

I could not have made it through the past two weeks if I didn’t believe these simple truths.If you don’t know Christ and want to, find a Bible, and turn to any of the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke or John). He will reveal Himself to you through these testimonies of his life. Dig in and investigate whether or not it’s real. Don’t look to people who’ve failed you; we’re incredibly fallible. Look to the man who lived a perfect sinless life.

Today is Sunday, and I am ready to join my church family in worshiping, celebrating, and fellowshipping. I don’t know if I’ll have the energy or ability to sit through the whole service, but I’m going to try. If I have to run out to the bathroom, at least I know everyone already knows why.

I am so very thankful to be alive, to be allowed to open my mouth to say “I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done.” That’s my new life verse.

And now the children are awake, so I must run for the day.

All my love to each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment